Nursery Value Select (NVS) is a pilot program that allows nursery producers to select the dollar amount of coverage that best fits their risk management needs. NVS, which is an asset-based form of insurance, covers similar causes of loss as the existing nursery program.
Click to access our NVS product fact sheet and view a side-by-side comparison of NVS and the regular Nursery policy!
NVS is available in select counties in Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.
NVS is available in all counties where a premium rate is provided in the actuarial documents, to all persons operating nurseries that meet certain criteria. The insured crop will be all plants within each insured practice for CAT level of coverage, and each plant category you choose to insure within each insured practice for additional levels of coverage and that:
- You have a share;
- Are grown in a nursery that receives at least 40 percent of its gross income from the wholesale marketing of nursery plants;
- Meet all the requirements for insurability;
- Are grown in an appropriate medium; and
- Are grown and sold with the root system attached.
Nursery plants may not be insurable if they:
- Are grown in containers containing two or more different genera, species, subspecies, varieties, or cultivars;
- Are any plant classified by a state or county as illegal to grow or sell in the county in which the nursery is located;
- Are grown as stock plants; or
- Are grown solely for harvest of buds, flowers, or greenery.
Your nursery must be inspected and approved as acceptable before insurance coverage can begin.
Occurrence Loss Option
Under the additional level of coverage, you may purchase the Occurrence Loss Option (OLO) in conjunction with your NVS policy in exchange for an additional premium. If you elect the OLO, your guarantee will be calculated the same as it would otherwise be calculated under the base policy. However, the OLO allows indemnities to be paid on smaller losses if a minimum dollar value of loss is exceeded.
Insured Causes of Loss
You are protected against the following:
- Adverse weather conditions, including wind, hurricane and freeze. If cold protection is required for the plant category in the Special Provisions, adequate and operational cold protection measures must be in place;
- Failure of irrigation water supply, if due to an insurable cause of loss, such as drought;
- Fire, provided weeds and undergrowth are controlled; and
Plant damage or losses in value as a result of the following situations are not covered:
- Collapse or failure of buildings/structures, unless caused by an insurable cause of loss;
- Disease or insect infestation, unless effective control measures for the infestation do not exist;
- Failure of plants to grow to an expected size;
- Inadequate power supply, unless such inadequacy is a result of an insurable cause of loss; and
- Inability to market nursery products due to a stop sales order, quarantine, boycott, phytosanitary restriction on sales or buyer refusal.
See right “Product Fact Sheet” for additional NVS coverage and claims information.
DataScape is a registered trademark of Datascape, LLC, Gurnee, Illinois.
The information contained in this publication is for general purposes only and shall not modify the terms of any insurance policy. Please refer to policy information found in the actuarials for your commodity/plan type.