Dairy Revenue Protection (DRP) is an insurance plan approved by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation to allow dairy farmers to purchase risk management protection against declines in quarterly revenue from milk sales as a result of a decline in milk prices, a decline in milk production, or both.
Revenue will be determined by a producer selecting to base their coverage on a mix of Class III and Class IV milk prices or milk components (milkfat, protein, and other milk solids). Coverage will be based on quarterly revenue.
DRP expected revenue is based on futures prices for milk and dairy commodities and the amount of covered milk production elected by the dairy producer. The covered milk production is indexed to the state or region where the dairy producer is located.
The policy will be sold on a daily basis and would insure a quarter of milk production. Policies would be offered by USDA-approved insurance providers and could be purchased voluntarily for an individual quarter, or a strip of quarters, up to five quarters out. For each Sales Closing Date, the Dairy farmer selects how milk is priced by either choosing the milk class price option and/or milk component price option, the coverage level (80-95% of the expected revenue) and the quarterly time frame. The revenue guarantee is based on future milk prices and declared covered milk production. The price of the policy varies daily based on the farmer-selected parameters on the expected risk in the market.
- DRP will not be sold on days where the monthly USDA Milk Production, Dairy Products, and Cold Storage reports are released.
- Milk or dairy commodity prices that experience a limit up or down move in the futures markets will not be available for determining the quarterly expected revenue.
- Allow sales to be suspended during the sales period for situations that arise during the sales period in which market conditions adversely change after the fact.
DRP is approved for sale in all counties in all 50 states.
The dairy producer has five basic decisions to make on the DRP policy:
- The value of milk protected
- The amount of milk production to cover
- The level of coverage (from 80 to 95 percent of the revenue guarantee)
- Which quarterly contracts to purchase
- Protection factor
Quote DRP in the eHarvest® Processing System without having to setup a policy first! Hudson Crop agents can also access the DRP quoter via the myHudson agent platform. Quote DRP now >
After RMA releases the monthly milk and component prices for the quarter and USDA’s milk production report identifies the actual milk production per cow for each state, the state-indexed actual revenue will be compared against the revenue guarantee. If the actual revenue is below the guarantee, the farmer is paid an indemnity based on the difference.
If you have questions or would like more information on this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information contained in this publication is for general purposes only and shall not modify the terms of any insurance policy.
- 2Announcement of Class & Component PricesAll Day
- 3Dairy Products ReleasedAll DayNASS Dairy ProductsAll Day
- 15Quarter EndAll DayLast date to purchase Q3 2022 Coverage , ...
- 21Milk Production ReleasedAll DayNASS Milk ProductionAll Day
- 23Cold Storage ReleasedAll DayNASS Cold StorageAll Day
- 29Announcement of Class & Component PricesAll Day
- 30Quarter EndAll DayLast date to purchase Q4 2022 Coverage – for the 2022 Crop Year/RY Last date to purchase Q1 2023 Coverage – for the 2022 Crop Year/RY Last date to purchase Q2 2023 Coverage – for the 2022 Crop Year/RY Last date to purchase Q3 2023 Coverage – for the 2022 Crop Year/RY , ...
- Mon 30
- Tue 31
- Wed 1
- Thu 2
- Fri 3
- Sat 4
- Sun 5
- Mon 6
- Tue 7
- Wed 8
- Thu 9
- Fri 10
- Sat 11
- Sun 12
- Mon 13
- Tue 14
- Wed 15
- Thu 16
- Fri 17
- Sat 18
- Sun 19
- Mon 20
- Tue 21
- Wed 22
- Thu 23
- Fri 24
- Sat 25
- Sun 26
- Mon 27
- Tue 28
- Wed 29
- Thu 30
- Fri 1
- Sat 2
- Sun 3
03JuneAll Day03JuneAll Day
21JuneAll Day21JuneAll Day
23JuneAll Day23JuneAll Day
01JulyAll Day01JulyAll Day